If I had a top 5 top thing, to celebrate our 5th anniversary, I would have to pick my favourite surprise organisations …
Number one – Boom, it has to be Think Forensics.
Wow what a business. What a concept. What an amazing woman behind it.
Number two – The Pigs in the Woods.
I must confess I have never visited or made contact, however I LOVE driving past it. Perhaps a bit dangerous trying to point out the pigs to the kid while driving …. But makes my heart sing a bit.
Number three – Shepley Spring Festival.
I have stolen the description “a mini Glastonbury”. I mentioned above, an amazing woman, but this Festival is also a credit to the amazing team work that can pull off an international 3-day music festival year on year, despite council and other funding cuts and other obstacles – including the weather in some years!!
Number four – There are so many that I could choose from it is so hard to single out, but I would have to pick the community amenities –
- The community libraries seem to have been a great success and popular and have been an impressive response to “the cuts”.
- Emley Community Centre, Football Club and Wentworth rooms was a delight the other year and is an impressive community area with so much potential. However, there are also many other sports and recreation clubs across the HD8 area it seems so harsh to single any out.
- Cliffe House is an adventure I know will continue to grow for me. I love the history of it – my MiL (Mother in Law) has stayed here … sorry that’s misleading, she’s not that old – she went on here school trip …. My little one isn’t just old enough for the adventure play equipment, but I can’t wait to give it a try. I did a stewarding session at Shepley Spring Festival the other year and the acoustics in the stables, I kept being told, where amazing!
- Scissett Baths – This has been my second office over the last year … not necessarily working, instead working out. It is great facility, but hard work to get to grips with timetables and the classes are so popular, it’s tricky to book. You must be dedicated, but the facilities are amazing (not forgetting the history) – and it’s one of the longest pools in Kirklees …
- Now I am torn between the great facilities for kids or just plummeting for Springfield Mills; especially after Jelly Beans and the transformation she has made (along with support from the other units) …. Leapfrogs too has recently gone through an amazing transformation, as has Kirklees Light Railways – have you been to their outside park in Clayton West recently? And of course, there are the other amazingly run community playgroups, stay and plays, etc, without forgetting the little parks dotted everywhere … However, Spingfield Mills, essentially should be your retail dream … a perfect way to spend your time …. The variety of shops/units in there, the service that is provided (most of the time) the quality and variety that is available, however ….
Number five – I have run out of numbers! Can I lump together in one all the other amazing organisations in the area?
- The back-bedroom businesses
- The (wo)man with a van services that keep our house, gardens, family and all other sorts of elements in our lives and business in working order
- The shops, beauticians, restaurants and entertainment activities, as well as events
- The employers, the national and international companies, the manufacturers, fabricators, engineers, ecommerce …
- The non-profit organisations that organise our social lives
Wow, I never thought it was going to be so hard to leave out so much. My mind is racing with the number of organisations and people that I haven’t mentioned, however I mean no offence when I do so.
Can you do better? What are your top 5?
It doesn’t have to be so far reaching as mine #coverallangels #anglesaswell